I’ve been wanting to make homemade oatmeal bars for a while now, and finally stumbled upon Erin’s blog, Well Plated. Since finding her blog late last week I now have a huge list of new recipes I want to try!
And with summer officially here, I’ve been wanting all. the. berries! I even got started a little early and created a semi-homemade blueberry pie last week.
I absolutely love our kitchen gadgets, here’s what’s featured in the images above: Measuring Cups: Sur La Table // Measuring Spoons: Sur La Table // Storage Containers: Bed bath and Beyond // Appetizer Plates: Bed Bath and Beyond // Silverware: Kate Spade
- 1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 cups, small-diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. I didn’t have any in the house, so I greased the pan with Pam spray. I def. recommend using the parchment paper, it would have made it so much easier!
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients of the oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Pour the melted butter into the medium bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly covered.
- Add half of the crust into the greased or lined pan and press into the bottom of the pan to create an even layer.
- Take the cut up strawberries and add a layer over the crust, once the layer of strawberries is in the pan, sprinkle the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon sugar over the berries.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the top, the fruit will still be showing once the crumbs are added.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and the crumb topping is golden brown.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- While bars are cooling, mix together the vanilla glaze ingredients in a bowl until smooth. To achieve a thinner consistency, add more milk.
- Drizzle with glaze, slice and serve!
Now that we have most of our items unpacked in the new house, we’ve been busy cooking and baking more! Here are some of my favorite items for the kitchen
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. What are you cooking up this summer?
It’s Friday and summer is here! This month’s Simply Loving round up includes all of my summer faves!
- Champagne Stopper – perfect way to keep your bubbly fresh, it’s like uncorking the bottle for the first time!
- Sand Spiker Drink Holder – a must have for summer days at the beach. Never have a sandy cup again (insert alleluia emoji!)
- Keepsake App – this is a great app for turning all of your photos into beautifully framed prints. I love how I can do it all from my phone!
- Pasta Salad Recipe – this easy-to-make, lightweight (no mayo!) pasta salad has been a huge hit this summer. I mean how can you go wrong with an Italian Caprese Pasta Salad?
- 4th of July Hot Dog Boats – OMG! This is the cutest thing ever!! Seriously, can’t get enough of this, can’t wait to use them for a festive celebration!
- Bamboo Multi-Device Charging Station – I prefer to have a place for everything and this organizer is perfect for keeping all my devices in one spot and minimizes the excess wires!
- Sun Protection – I mean it’s summer time and we live in Florida… this is a necessity for summer time. This is by far my favorite sun screen for the body and this one is my favorite for my face.
- 168 Hours – this is on my summer reading list for sure! Who doesn’t want to learn how to gain more time throughout the day and accomplish all the goals without sacrificing time with family and enjoying the good stuff?!
- 10-Minute Workout – I love being able to get in a quick 10-minute workout with these 3 moves (especially when it’s bikini season!)
- Yoga on-the-go – I know I’ve talked about this before, but this is great for all the summer travel because you can take yoga classes with you where ever you go. I’ll be using this in Dallas in two weeks!
What items are you loving so far for summer?! Enjoy the weekend and chase the sun!
Happy Friday friends!
I am excited to start a new monthly series, sharing my simple finds I am currently loving. These finds will range from new simple recipes to the latest Pandora station I can’t get enough of. So, without further ado, these are a few things I am simply loving right now.
- Tropical House Pandora Station: This uplifting, relaxing sub-genre of deep house, dance music, provides the perfect tempo for getting work done, relaxing with friends or cleaning the house. I seriously can’t get enough of this station. And those that I share it with tell me the same!
- Kate Spade, All in Good Taste Book: This is the quintessential hostess book filled with how-tos, recipes, and helpful tips for the modern hostess. Perfect as a gift to your bestie or to keep for yourself, you can’t go wrong with Kate.
- Bellwethers Font: This fun, modern calligraphy design is the perfect carefree elegant font! I love how it truly looks like a handwritten font and has tons of options with additional swashes. Oh, and it’s only $15!
- Rompers: I am loving the simplicity of a romper, and I am totally loving this one right now.
- Acai Energy Bowls: Need I say more? This nutritious, superfood smoothie and fruit bowl combination is amazingly delicious and is a good source of energy! Top with your choice of fruit, you really can’t go wrong. My fave combo is bananas, strawberries, granola, coconut and honey… so good!
- Home Decor Inspiration: We still have A LOT to do with the house and Pinterest has been my go-to for inspiration lately, I’m simply loving all of the inspiration.
- Kate Spade Navy Watch: Seriously crushing on this adorable watch from Kate Spade, it’s perfect for summer!
- Calmness of Blue Art Canvas: This is going to look perfect in our dinning room!
- Bikini Season: I am ready for longer days and shorter nights and warm summer days by the beach! These bathing suits from Ola Feroz seem amazing! The fabric, the cut and styles are unlike any other bathing suits I’ve tried on. This is a must-have for the summer season!
- Beef with Broccoli: We had girls night in earlier this week and we made this yummy beef with broccoli recipe! It was an easy, quick meal perfect for girls night in – because when you’re drinking wine and sharing stories with the gals, the last thing you want to do is be stuck in the kitchen!
Well, this gal is ready for the weekend, hope you have a fantastic one as well!
Tis’ the season for snuggling on the couch, sipping hot cocoa and baking cookies! This past weekend my family and I gathered around the kitchen to start our baking tradition! Over the years we’ve gathered quiet a collection of recipes, some being passed down from generation to generation, while others have been added along the way, trying and testing out new ones. This year we started off with a classic, Italian Christmas Cookies! And they taste as good as they look!
Italian Christmas Cookies
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar until blended
- Ad eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Mix in vanilla extract
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Slowly add flour to creamed mixture and mix until blended. If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle a bit more flour.
- Hand-roll teaspoon-sized balls and place 2″ apart onto un-greased baking sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly brown (about 10 – 15 minutes)
- Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes
- Dip cooled cookies into frosting and sprinkles
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond, lemon, or anise extract
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix all ingredients together, beat until smooth
Step by Step with Pictures
1. Cream butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder
Mix flour and baking powder
4. Slowly add flour to creamed mixture and mix until blended
If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle a bit more flour
Hand-roll teaspoon-sized balls and place 2″ apart onto un-greased baking sheet
Bake at 350 degrees until cookies are set and bottoms are lightly browned
Remove from baking sheet and let cool
Mix ingredients for frosting
Dip the Italian Christmas Cookies into the frosting
then dip into the sprinkles
Let iced cookies set on cooling rack
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Bake Time: 15 minutes | Cool Time: 5 minutes | Servings: 3 dozen
Gathering around the kitchen is a family tradition of ours (regardless of the holiday season!), but I do enjoy the cookies that come from gathering together for the holidays. What traditions are you looking forward to this holiday season?!?
I am ecstatic with the way our engagement photos came out, we had over 200 photos to choose from for the save the date and I just couldn’t decide! That’s how much I liked all of our photos!
To say that I am thrilled with our photographer is an understatement, Life and Love Studios has done a phenomenal job! From the first time I met Jay (husband + videographer) at the bridal show, he somehow managed to make me feel at ease and kept the conversation going regardless of the fact that everyone was sardined into the venue. People were pushing and shoving to get to the next booth, but Jay continued to talk to me about how him and his wife work, what they do and the beautiful moments they capture. Upon our first meeting with both Alison (wife + photographer) and Jay, we sat there and talked for more than 2 hours. They got to know us, how we met, what we did, what we enjoyed and vice versa.
We decided to do our engagement shoot almost a year to the date of our wedding day, it was a gorgeous spring day in St. Augustine and Alison was such a pleasure to work with during the shoot. Here’s a preview of some of the photos:
Photo Credit: Alison Neumark from Life & Love Studios
We used Minted.com for the save the dates, I love the quality of their paper and fell in love with the gold foil love design! Check it out:
Minted.com even reached out to us, asking to use our save the date photo on their website : D – all the credit goes to Alison for capturing such a beautiful picture!
I can’t thank Alison enough for these incredible photos!